Sunday, August 19, 2012

This, Too, Shall Pass

My Mom has always said this to me and I have found it to be so true, in everything in life.  This, too, shall pass.  I remember when my girls were little and I was completely frustrated by something we were going through- bedtime issues, potty training etc. and just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, it would change or stop.  When I didn't think that I could survive going through my divorce, or the grief of heartbreak, I can look back on them now and firmly say This, too, DID pass.  
But life is funny cause with every passing comes a new challenge, a new obstacle to get over.  I never would have ever thought that walking 5 days a week would be so frustrating and challenging but then again, why should I have thought any different.  Is there anything in life that is just handed to us?
A little frustration humor for ya!
This morning was another training and I went to bed last night completely dreading getting up early on my very last official day of summer, the last morning I would get to sleep in for awhile.  I started thinking about maybe turning off my alarm in my sleep (sometimes I really do this) and oops I didn't make it to training, sorry.  But when my alarm went off, I knew I had to get up and do this.  I was lookinig forward to another walk by the water and was praying that my ankles and shins felt better.  The walk I took yesterday left my ankle swollen and my shins hurting again, I thought I was making progress. :(
I decided to buy an ankle sleeve and it felt really good when I put it on but sadly, my walk was frought with pain again.  I was beyond frustrated and tried very hard to hold the tears back- not tears of pain but of shear frustration.  I want to be walking faster, I want to maybe run a bit, I want to listen to my songs and enjoy the scenery.  But none of that happened, instead I concentrated really hard of just putting one foot in front of the other to get me back to the store as quickly as possible. Once I got back the pain stopped and I was left with the determination to not give in to this pain and let it stop me.
I refuse to let this pain and frustration stop me.  I have no idea how long this pain will last, I can only hold on to the hope that one day I can walk pain free and maybe enjoy it alittle bit more and keep telling myself, "This, too, shall pass."

When I got home and removed my sleeve, the swelling started and I had to ice my ankle, which felt really good.  I only wish that I could sit like this all day but school supply shopping trumps this.

Does the left ankle look swollen to you?

Well I will probably take tomorrow off from walking and hope that on Tuesday the pain is a little better. I think I will wear my ankle sleeve and shoes to work tomorrow so my ankles and shins know I mean business.  One day, hopefully very soon, they will start to comply.
Until then,
Waiting for this to pass

1 comment:

  1. That little cartoon is hilarious. I never stop being impressed by your dedication! Take tomorrow off and try to put your feet up as much as you can. I give you full permission to during the PBIS presentation.

    ReplyDelete