Friday, August 24, 2012

Feeling Antsy

Well I survived the first week back to work.  It was a pretty good week, very very busy.  I didn't walk on Monday or Tuesday due to my sore ankle.  Our training group met on Wednesday this week at Ft. McHenry.  I was nervous about how my ankle and shins would do but excited about the walk, especially because the weather was gorgeous with very little humidity. We started out on the walk and before long I was ready to jump for joy- no pain at all!!!  I had reduced my speed and it was working.  I was so excited and had to really concentrate on keeping my speed down.  About 3/4 of a mile in the pain came back.   I was really discouraged but kept moving forward.  The pain wasn't as bad as it had been on Sunday and never really increased in intensity but it lingered for the rest of the 2.1 mile walk.  My GPS app said my speed was 3.1 which wasn't too much slower than my usual 3.4 pace.  All in all it was a very nice walk.
Yesterday I was so busy with both girls Back to School nights.  First was Grace's- I can't believe that she is going into 5th grade :(  I had to leave her there in order to get Anna to High School Orientation.  Thank goodness for Sandy, who brought Grace home.  High School???  WHAT?  My baby girl is going to be a freshman, I cna't believe it!! Half way through the Orientation Grace text me that there were hundreds of ants in the kitchen.  When I got home, I found ants all over the cake that Anna and Paige made as well as pretty much all over the kitchen counter.  It was sad throwing out the cake but I was sorta glad not to have the temptation in the house. 
I knew that I had to walk today and was pretty stressed out when I got home to find more ants invading the kitchen.  After spending about an hour on clean up and getting a solution from Lowes to combat the ants I was finally able to put on my shoes and get walking.  By this point, I was struggling to find the motivation.  Grace said that she wanted to ride her bike with me and it was really nice to have her company.  The pain is still there but seems to be getting better, or perhaps I am just getting more used to it.  Not sure yet.  Either way, it is over with for today and my speed was back up to 3.4 mph.  My goal is to get up to 4.0 but I can't imagine going any fast then I already am with it being an actual jog. 
So it has been 4 weeks since I started this insanity and as of today I have lost 7.5 pounds.  Not only do I feel lighter but I also am happier and less stressed.  I definitly felt that at work this week.  I no longer wanted to punch anyone who asked me to fix their technology.  I am, however, getting antsy (no pun intended) about my progress.  Don't get me wrong, I am making amazing progress and am not discounting that at all.  But I am realizing just how long this is going to take and sometimes the effort involved in walking 5 days a week and counting calories and thinking about everything I am putting in my mouth is just too much for only losing 1 pound a week.  I know, I know, this is the healthy way to do it and ensure that I will keep it off, but sometimes it is just so frustrating.
I am getting a little concerned about what I will do after the 5K.  Part of me wants to sign up for another 5K so that I will be forced to continue. I am afraid that, left to my own, I will not continue walking 5 days a week and will allow myself to slack off.  However, there is a large part of my brain that is telling me I have once again lost my mind for wanting to train for another 5K.  What to do, what to do? 
Until then,
Chasing Ants

No comments:

Post a Comment