Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The WIndow of Opportunity

HA don't I look like I had fun!  Since I skipped yesterdays walk due to shear exhaustion from a long day rearranging my computer lab and heffing multiple computers to the storage closet, I knew I had to walk today.  It was on my mind all day.  I knew that I had a full day of work, dinner to make, take Grace to gymnastics and the only opportunity I would have to walk would be after 7pm. As we left gymnastics I had a little encouraging chat with my Jens (Kuessner and Bethke) who told me that they were fans of my blog.  Yeah more cheerleaders!  On the drive home the sky looked ominous and that little voice in my head was doing backflips of joy at the thought of my walk being rained out.  I had a good ole mental fight with myself all the way home and lo and behold not 5 minutes after coming in the door I was back out, not giving my devil mind a chance to catch up to my plans.
I was excited to try a new interval app that Shannon recommended and thought that maybe I would try running for 30 second intervals, as long as my shins held up.
After 4 minutes of walking the ringer went off (set to sound like a boxing round bell) and I ran for 30 second, then walked for 30.  I think I did this 3 times before my shins screamed at me to stop.  I was a little disappointed but then had to mentally whip myself into shape and finally convinced myself that it was amazing!!  Just a few short days ago I could barely walk and here I was running for a few minutes.  The second half of my walk my shins were punishing me and my foot started flopping again but I ignored them and instead looked at the clouds and the neighborhood and listened to my songs. 
All in all it was a nice walk, rather brisk too as I was breathing hard for most of it and could feel my heart rate rising.  I liked the interval app and hope that I can eventually run a bit more but for now I am extremely happy with my progress.
My biggest worry is what will happen when I get back to work full time next week and then what I will do once it starts to get dark at 5.  Because I tell you one thing for certain, this chicky ain't getting out of bed any earlier than I absolutely have to and if I ever DO get out of bed early to go walk I asure you that pigs will be flying right along with me!
Until then,
Eating my earned calories snack!

4 comments:

  1. I feel like a celebrity getting mentioned on the blog. Lol! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Sometimes I leave work exhausted as well and can't even imagine doing anything, the only solution is exactly what you did, in and out of the house before you can even think about it. Let's be honest, I heard your were one of those lazy pieces of shit that leaves at 3:45 so you'll have time to walk before it gets dark at 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job!! Half of this really is a mental game. I run in the morning before work because I know - absolutely KNOW - that I lose the battle against the gravitational pull of my couch after work.

    Don't worry about the darkness yet. You'll find routes that are well lit and they sell head lamps that are comforta

    ReplyDelete
  4. *comfortable and bright! Even in the summer, some of my runs start in the dark. You kind of get used to it.

    ReplyDelete