Monday, August 27, 2012

A Bugs Life and other Musing

I have some good news and some bad news, which do you want first?  I always like the bad news first because it makes the good news all the more sweeter.
So the bad news- I didn't walk Saturday or Sunday and I really fell off the food wagon as well.  I went out Saturday night with my friend and her husband and instead of making relatively intelligent choices about my meal, I ended up eating a shrimp fiesta with 3 different types of fried shrimp.  Sunday wasn't too much better as I feasted on a large burger made by my bestie-in-law and had 2 glasses of wine.  Ok all in all not too bad but I definitly woke up today feeling heavier and stayed as far away from the scale as I could knowing that I woudn't like what I see.  I now know the value of only weighing in once a week.  So I have 4 more days to redeem myself. 
Today was such a crazy day- work was basically ok.  I mean I am in the air conditioned lab which definitly has its perks.  However, at the end of the day I was checking my account balance to see what kind of money I had in there to buy some groceries and found out I was in the hole.  "Hello bank of Mom, I'd like to make a withdraw."  So after work I had to drive to my Moms, get an advance on my check this Friday, drive to the bank in rush hour to deposit the cash and then fight my way home on the 5:30 beltway.  Knowing that I didn't have anything for dinner in my house, I text Anna with 2 choices- Chik Fila or chinese.  Chinese won out.  I used my app in the Chinese store parking lot to find out what I could eat in a decent calorie range- this was so frustrating because there were so many choices for Sesame Chicken (what I wanted) ranging from 150 calories (yeah right) to 550.  At this point, low blood sugar was kicking in and I was pissed off that I had to even worry about how many stupid calories were in my food and just got my order and went home.  I scarfed down my sesame chicken without even tasting it and added 500 calories to my day.  Feeling spent and irritated I emptied and filled the dishwasher, battled the ants once again and then had to mentally fight with myself to walk.  Grace was bugging me to walk as she wanted to ride her bike with me again.  If it were not for her, I would probably still be sitting on the porch berating myself for not walking.  It is such a mind game that is absolutely exhausting.
So now for the good news- I reluctantly donned my beloved shoes and other paraphenalia and headed out.  My pace was slower, probably matching my mood, but I can happily report NO SHIN PAIN!!!  I was so happy about this and was slowly turning my mood around when I walked through a fog of gnats.  One went straight into my eye and one went right up my nose.  I was so horrified and began digging in my eye while also blowing my nose all over my shirt to try to dislodge the bug.  I am sure the father who was coming off of the Villa Cresta field was completely grossed out- damn he was cute too.  Oh well, I couldn't tell you what happened to those nasty buggers and I really don't want to know.
So there it is, the good, the bad and the ugly.
  I have so much to be thankful for, in light of the events at Perry Hall High School today, that I can only look at my bad news today and think of it as another blessed day!  My 14 year loved her first day in High School and my 10 year old has been gushing about her day in 5th grade.  It just doesn't get any better than that- eye gnats and all!!!
Until next time,
Going to blow my nose

No comments:

Post a Comment