Sunday, July 29, 2012

There is a First for Everything

So today was my first training session.  8 of us (I think) met at 8:30 and started out after a few minutes of stretching.  We walked for 4 minutes and then Alyssa announced that it was time to run for a minute.  When I say I haven't run since I was 10, I really think I mean it.  I was scared and my legs felt like lead but I did it.  All I kept thinking was how my jiggly butt must look to the people behind me.  I couldn't believe how quickly the minute passed and while walking for 4 minutes, I thought maybe I can do this.  Then we ran again and I truly think my legs were yelling at me.  It was harder the second time and even harder still the 3rd time, but I did it.  We rounded out the 25 minutes with a cool down and then some final stretching.  All in all it wasn't bad, easy to say now that it is over.
 So here is my official "before" picture. I hate this picture because it is a reminder of why I have to do this and how much I have let my health and body go in the past 10 odd years.
   I also hate it because in my mind I still look like this:
Well maybe not exactly but....
So with my official "before" picture clearly plastered here, I have great motivation to keep going.  It is time, and as much as my jiggly butt might hate it, I will "Just Do It" and can't wait to see the "after" picture!
Goal one- to fit into running shorts and shirt!  I bought an official running outfit from Target and will be returning it because I will not be seen in public in such a monstrosity, and my "touching thighs"(insert private joke snicker) made the shorts bunch up in a most uncomfortable way.  Maybe by the time this race is over I will feel more comfortable in running gear.
The best part of the run, besides doing it with Alyssa, Shneequa and Michelle (my amazing co-workers) was the location.  I decided to drive back through the city and I swear the clouds were whiter, the sky bluer and the city sparkling.  I enjoyed seeing the city through my endorphin filled eyes.
I spotted these guys along the way and who doesn't enjoy a little running eye candy? (One other reason I am doing this)
Almost home, I also spied this little bit of inspiration.
So now I am feeling a little squishy and invigorated and look forward to enjoying the rest of the day cleaning up dog mess (poor Lulu is sick), cleaning, doing laundry and other mundane tasks that need to get done. 
Training Day 1 Done!



9 comments:

  1. You did so well! I was so proud! Haha my thighs will ALWAYS touch, that's not going away, but nothing wrong with that. I love this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS How about turning off word verification?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a successful first run!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog via your coach's blog (I'm a long-time lurker over there) - just wanted to say to keep it up! I started on a similar program nearly 8 years ago. I was running 30 seconds, walking 4:30 times six for a workout. I built from there to running half marathons and competing in triathlons! It happens faster than you think. (Although I still remember the first time I ran a mile without stopping. I was waiting for balloons to fall from the sky because it seemed like such a miracle.)

    Anyway, about the shorts issue - even after losing my extra weight, I have the same problem. You need to get either compression shorts to wear under your regular ones (two pair of shorts is a bummer though) or compression capris. They sell them everywhere, from Target to expensive stores. Believe me, running is much more fun when your legs aren't rubbing together!

    Best of luck getting ready for your race. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I've been searching different outfit and accessory options. I like the idea of compression capris. Have to lose some weight first or I may scare people lol

      Delete
  5. I'm going to follow every step of your way! I started the same journey 3 years ago. Since them I've lost 100 lbs. I also found out that when you start running, you are officially an athlete. So guess what - YOU ARE AN ATHLETE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to follow your journey every step and lb. of the way! I was in your shoes 3 years ago, and since then I've lost 100 lbs. and love running. And guess what? When you start running - even for a minute - you're officially an athlete! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! My support system and cheerleaders have been awesome!! Glad to have one more!!

    ReplyDelete