Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It!

7-11-12
So tomorrow I go and buy my running shoes.  Little did I know when I agreed to do this that it would cost me so much- and yes I do mean financially and metaphorically.  My first thought was nope, can't do it, don't have the money, and a small part in the back of my brain opened up and started yelling, "Yes, I have an out." But something made me shut the door on that voice.  I have no idea what it was, other than my resolve to do this, no matter what.  Or perhaps it is the influence of the amazing story that I have spent the last 3 days on the couch reading.  The irony is not lost on me, this most appropriate of book choice- The Walk by Richard Paul Evans about a man who loses everything, I mean everything, and decides to walk from Seattle to Key West.  I am so enjoying the story, but also applying what I am learning to this insane venture that I am taking.
So I'm shutting the door on a lot of voices in the recesses of my brain (At least for the next 2 months). I am viewing these voices as the Devil in his veiled attempt at conquering my life.  That might seem a bit dramatic but I must be so dramatic if I want to change the way I have been thinking.  That devil door has been opening up too often in my life, allowing me to make excuses for some of the things  that I feel (or allow myself) to be powerless to change.  Plus I am a pretty emotionally, dramatic person so I guess this fits. 
So new shoes it is.  I have never put much stock into shoes, hate them as a matter of fact, and have used my lack of proper shoe attire as a deterrent for many walking activities. Walking/running a 5K is all the more exciting, knowing that I will have the proper "equipment" on my feet.
So devil, you are going to have to do some pretty fast thinking and get creative to stop me next time.  I await your return, as I know it is inevitable.
Until then......
Am I Crazy????

1 comment: