Friday, July 13, 2012

If the Shoe Fits (or looks nice) Buy It

So here they are- my running shoes.  It was a very surreal experience yesterday getting these.  Alyssa works for Charm City Run which is downtown in a newer area called McHenry Row off of Key Highway. After having my feet measured and my stride evaluated on the indoor "track", she brought me out a few to try on.  When I put them on, I think I heard my feet sing.  This was certainly not the same feeling I had in Walmart, which is my usual go to place for tennies. After I tried them on, I got to walk on a treadmill while a camera recorded from my calves down to my feet to see if the shoes were the proper fit while I am walking.  We then watched the video back in super slow mo and I got to see exactly how I plant my feet with each step, how cool is that? Alyssa, very professionally, told me that we indeed have the correct shoe for my stride! I have to say, I felt a bit like a bride trying on wedding dresses.  Ok maybe not like that, but I did feel a deep connection with my shoes after such a detailed evaluation.
I had narrowed it down to 2 pair of shoes, and being the vain person that I am, I went with the ones that were the most aesthetically pleasing to me.  My feet felt the best in them, not just because they hugged my feet so well, but also because they made me smile more when I looked down at it.  Is this how a celebrity feels when they try on the dress that they just know is the right one before a red carpet event?
So shoes, an iphone arm band and a pair of socks later, I went out to the car, placed my shoe box on the passenger seat next to me, flipped the lid so I could see the shoes and happily drove back home to put them on. 
I walked around with them on for awhile at home and even wore them to take Grace to the doctor.  I felt kinda silly seeing as how my usual feet attire would have been flip flops and I wasn't actually doing any extensive walking or running, but I had to break them in and this was my excuse.  I also told myself that since I had the shoes on, I would take a nice walk around the neighborhood when I got home.  Yeah, that never happened.  Baby steps I guess.
Well it's all bought and paid for- the training sessions, the race, the shoes, socks and contraption to hold my playlists securely to my arm.  Now there is only one thing left to do- get walking.
Ole Devily is back, scratching at that back part of brain telling me that official training doesn't start until the 29th so I might as well take advantage of the next 2 weeks and relax.  My fully functioning, awake brain knows that all I have been doing for years is relaxing and it's time to kick the devil in the teeth and get out there and begin. Every fiber of my being wants to listen to the master of disaster himself and not walk until I absolutely have to and Alyssa is forcing me too. HA Sorry Alyssa.
 Hmmm it's gonna be a fight for sure, I wonder who is going to win?
Until then,
To walk or not to walk?


5 comments:

  1. Me forcing you to can be arranged any time. It could happen right now. I know where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for starting a running (walking? Whatever) program. You might want to get in shape before Alyssa's boot camp. I hear she's mean when she runs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart literally lept into my throat reading that. I immediately looked around and expected you to leap out if the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara at this point I need mean!! I am literally going into this kicking and screaming!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new shoes! Other people are reading your blog now (blame Alyssa), so now you have to follow through. :)

    ReplyDelete