Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fear is in Control


7-7-12
When I woke up this morning, this was NOT how I had expected to spend my day.  But something in the back of my brain decided to take over.  My friend, Alyssa Lindsey, had invited me to join her running group training for a 5K.  She is the awesome coach.  Normally I would have laughed it off and politely deleted the email, hoping the topic wouldn't come up again.  But this time, I did something different, I thought about.  Could this be something I could do?  I trust Alyssa and have watched her train for Marathons and 50 Milers (which for a long time I read as 50 Millers) and have so much respect and admiration for her.  
I have no aspirations to run a marathon, let alone a 5K, but I do know that I need to get healthy. I live a pretty sedentary life by choice and cannot afford a gym membership, even though when I did pay for it, I went about 5 times in 9 months.  Obviously the gym is not for me.  I love to dance but alas have no partner and or resources for how to do this by myself.  I like to hike but honey hiking a few times a year isn't going to get me healthy and again I lack the resources needed to do this by myself. 
Enter Alyssa Lindsey with this opportunity.  Now this is probably the LAST thing that I would have gone out and sought on my own, but I chose to look at it as an opportunity instead of "not the right thing for me".  After all, how do I know unless I try.
So I think I am going to enter into this world of walking/running and see where it takes me(even though part of me knows it will involve lots of tears and sweat). Speaking of sweat- I HATE it, absolutely hate it, so expect lots of posts about my abhorrence of it.  There is not one part of me that is looking forward to it but I will treat this as a new challenge and if the only thing I get out of it is to strengthen my writing skills by keeping this blog, then that would be pretty amazing too! 
I have no idea what to expect, fully embrace the possibility that I can't do this and may drop out, but forge forward I will and will undoubtedly learn something about myself in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment