Sunday, September 9, 2012

I DID IT!!!!!!

I crossed the finish line in 54 minutes 26 seconds!
This 6 week journey is over and what a ride it's been. 
            6 weeks and 11 pounds ago                                         Today!!!


I am stealing a quote from my 10 year old daughter after she had an appearance on the Jumbotron at an Orioles game- "It's great to be me!" 

I wasn't nervous going into this, maybe I should've been, but I was more concerned about the things I couldn't anticipate.  I don't like doing anything for the first time.  I had no idea what to expect from the crowds, the ceremony, exactly where I would be walking etc.  But as far as the walking, I wasn't nervous.  I knew that I would do it, knew that I would finish and whatever happened in between would take care of itself. 
This is what greeted us when we came around the corner in front of the World Trade Center.  It reminded me the most important reason that I was doing this- to honor Bob Marchanti and remember those that died in 9-11 and all of our fire fighters, police officers and military that keep us all safe.  I smiled as I remembered Bob and knew that he was with me.  I had complained to my Mom last night that I didn't put a picture of Bob or something on my shirt saying that I was walking in his memory, but then she said "He will be with you in your heart."  My mom, always has the words I need to hear :)

I was with Shneequa and Michelle, my 2 Steaders. It was so nice to have them to share this experience with.
Here we are before the race- We are Awesome!!!

So I got myself all ready and we were standing in the middle of this huge pack of people.  Exactly 2 seconds before the horn blared, it dawned on me that I could get trampled because everyone else would be running.  Silly me, I should have started all the way in the back.  Well the horn blared and this huge pack of humans began to move forward like one large parade float.  The pace of my walk started out
pretty fast because I was trying to keep up with the runners.  Well pretty quickly it all thinned out and I was beginning to worry that there were no other walkers and I became extremely self conscious and began to doubt myself.  But soon enough the walkers caught up to me and I fell into a nice pace as we rounded the Science Center.  About this time my shins began to scream and I thought, I am in trouble.  It is too soon to be feeling this pain.  When I finally reached the 1 mile marker I was thinking that maybe I should panic.  There was no way I was going to go 2 more miles with this pain.  I concentrated on thinking positively and had my first conversation with Bob.  I knew he was with me and I began to remember working with him at Victory Villa and what a simple, fun to be around person he was.  You could not help but smile when you were around him.  He never spoke ill of others and boy did he love his wife and kids.   These memories carried me through the long haul on Key Highway and soon I found that the pain was better, definitely tolerable.  Thanks Bob!! 
I came around a corner and was almost smacked in the face with a HUGE hill.  I shook my head and chuckled and dug my shoes in, I knew they would carry me up.  I named the hill- The Hill of the Past because as I was trudging up it, watching more and more people pass me, I began to think about all of the other "hills" I have encountered in my life and sure enough conquered.  I was smiling by the time I reached the top.
At this point my mouth was dry and I was searching for the first water table.  Up ahead, not too far I thought I saw one but as I got closer I realized it was just a mirage, or really just a fire truck with hot firemen cheering us on.  Wait, I think that was a little better than water actually.  At every intersection there were firemen and woman stopping traffic for us.  It was like Hottie day too cause many of them served as a tasty bit of eye candy for the trip- SCORE!!!
Still on the search for water and that damned 2 mile marker I kept trudging along.  Around another corner the water table emerged and ahead of me were waiting a man and a woman with outstretched cups of water.  Of course I steered toward the man and politely said thank you as the water began to slosh down my chin.  Ahead of me was a complete sea of white where everyone had thrown there cups.  Now I know that this is proper running etiquette and there are people there to clean it up, but I had a very hard time throwing my cup on the ground- even as I was stomping on them like bubble wrap.  A lady up ahead was holding a trash bag and picking up cups and I tossed mine in her bag like Michael Jordan.
And there it was- up ahead- the long sought after 2 mile marker.  I rounded that sucker and picked up my pace.  I was kind of in my own little bubble, the cackling trio of ladies that had been strolling in front of me had somehow sprinted farther up ahead and I could barely make them out.  A quick look behind me showed that I, at least, was not last.  At this point, the song Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars came on.  I quickly pointed out to myself that even thought I was walking this 5K, I was amazing just the way I am!  It became my theme song and I smiled all the way through mile 2-3.  My shins were no longer hurting and the end was close.
Walking through Federal Hill was really nice- loved the row houses so much!  I even came upon a house party that I am sure, by the sounds of it, was still going on since last night.  My favorite was about 2 blocks later when a group of drunken men (still out from the night before I am sure) were standing bare feet and bare chested on the corner cheering everyone on.
Because this was the Race to Remember there were alot of fire fighters and police officers and a platoon of police officers that were running in formation, their cadence keeping us all in step too.
One more hill to go and I could see the end.  I strode up that hill with my arms swinging as several people were heading back down, already finished.  A guy at the top said 500 yards this way and you are done.  Well since 99% of the people in the race had already finished, I crossed the finish line to cheers in my heart and a smile on my face. 
There was music and celebrations and awards and a BANANA that was the best tasting thing ever!  I downed a water bottle in record time and then also had a half a bagel and began to feel recovered.  I was definitely depleted and was thankful to refuel.
So that's it- my adventure in insanity and I can without a doubt say that yes, I have lost my mind, and along the way, found a new one- and I like this one better :)
Here are some pics we took after the race on Federal Hill and before our half mile walk back to the garage- yes that was a cruel joke.

These are my stats according to the app on my phone that I use to keep track of my speed, distance and calories burned- my favorite!!!
I am thinking that walking a 5K is like child birth- while going through labor you swear you will never go through it again, you will never have more children.  And then afterwards you kind of forget the bad parts and only see the good parts and say yeah sure I can do that again.  Well that is sorta where I am right now.  Definitely remember telling myself that I would never do this again, somewhere around the 1.5 mile mark but now sitting home and reliving it all I am thinking sure why not?  It will keep me going. SO I will look into that soon and will also be looking for training buddies- friends to keep me accountable to training.  Hmmm I wonder who will be up to the challenge?
Until then,
Insert Lazy Song lyrics

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!! So proud of you! What a great recap! You ladies looked gorgeous and did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete