Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Peek Inside

In almost 9 weeks I have lost 13.5 pounds and can now successfully walk at an average speed of 3.7 mph without any pain.  I am more than a tad bit happy with myself and am almost half way to my first goal of losing 30 pounds!  I had also, at one point, sorta kinda set a semi-goal of maybe one day running.  You see, when I first started this I really thought that I would just go out and run.  I am not sure what warped part of my brain that thought came from but reality has sure smacked some sense into it. As I have thoroughly detailed in this blog, running was not an option for me- hell walking some days was barely an option. 
Well since the race I have been able to walk without anymore shin pain and just a few times with mild ankle discomfort.  So I thought I would revisit my semi-kinda goal of running.  On my nice chilly walk early this morning I thought that maybe I would give running another try.  So here is a peek inside my thought process as I was walking:
Self- "This weather is so nice and it feels so good to walk.  My pace is really pretty fast this morning.  Ok when I turn this corner I think I am going to try running."
I turn the corner and hop from the road to the sidewalk ready to run.
Self-"Oh wait a man with a dog, nope not gonna try it now.  I will just wait til I get to the next street, that is a nice flat stretch."
Continue down the street and nod politely at the man with the dog.
Self- "Ok so I am now on "the" street it is time to give running a try, ok I will start after this house.  Oh wait, woman washing the car, not gonna run now and risk being seen by washer woman."
I pick up my pace and head toward the stop sign and the next turn.
Self- "Oh hold on, this part of the walk is uphill ok I am not going to try running up hill.  I will wait until I get to the downhill part."
Listen to Rascal Flatts "I Melt" and refrain from singing the words out loud.
Self- "Ok it is time to start running downhill.  Darn cute man in his yard. Go inside cute man I can't run past your house now.  Darn it.  Ok I think I will try running down Harris, it is long and flat and is about half way through  my walk."
Easily glide down the hill and past cute man's house and around the corner onto Harris fully ready to run for as long as I can make it.
Self-"What is that? Cars everywhere, people everywhere.  What is going on here?  Oh no- soccer on the school fields.  Hey Dad and kid get out of my way, I am trying to walk here."
Disappointed I stear out into the street to avoid Mom, Dad, Gramma and boy with soccer gear.
Well at this point I gave up trying to run and just decided to walk the rest of the way and concentrate on my music and the beautiful weather.  When I am ready to run and get beyond my silly high school embarressment I will give it a try.  Until then, I will keep picking up my walking pace and be happy with the progress I am making.
So there you have it- a little peek into the musing going on in my brain as I walk.  I don't know if I will ever run and honestly I am ok with that.  My pace is great and I am losing weight which is really my ultimate goal.  I did not go into this to run a marathon and still do not have aspirations of that.  At this point I would just be happy to run for 30 seconds and not end up crippled.  So to all those runners out there- Mad Mad props to you cause I truly know how hard it is and I apologize for ever thinking it was so easy that I was just gonna get off my couch and run for as long as I wanted.  Silly me!
So until I decide to run,
I'll be walking

No comments:

Post a Comment