Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Goals and Food

Thanks to my cheerleader, Shannon, who text me this picture this morning!  It reminded me of the many goals that I have set for myself this year! Some I have reached, some not.  That is the good thing about goals, I think.  It really isn't necessarily about reaching them, but striving to reach them.  I think it is unrealistic to think that we will reach 100% of the goals we make, that is the beauty of a goal- it give you something to work for, something to think about as we trudge through this life each day. That's the way I see it anyway.
I have set a new short term goal- to lose 10 pounds by the color run (May 11th).  Absolutely obtainable and once I hit that, I will be back at the weight I was 6 years ago when my life took a huge pitfall.  I gained 30 pounds in those 6 years as I nursed a horribly broken heart back to life.
It was probably just a year ago that I started to feel like myself again, which I guess prompted this journey that I am on now.  
I had never set goals for myself before in such a definitive way.  My goals always seemed to be directed for me and this was maybe the first time in my life that I had taken charge of my own destiny and boy has it felt good.  
So the next 10 pounds are going to be huge for me! 
Unfortunately I have really struggled with keeping up with the running and counting calories.  I blame this on 2 things....
1. My beloved robe and slippers.
2. The lack of fresh fruits and vegetable.
You see I come home from work everyday and can't wait to put on my comfies which makes it very hard to then put on running clothes and get moving.  Yes yes I KNOW- put them on as soon as I get home, blah blah blah.  By the time my rational brain catches up to my reality, my robe is on and zippered and darn if I can get it unzipped :) Why oh why can't I just run in bare feet and my robe?
I am also craving so many of the good summer foods and find planning for good low cal stuff, when there are so few options, a real drag.
Counting calories is a bitch too (pardon my language but it is).  I am just not good at it anymore but everyday I try....... which is all I can ask of myself now- it is all part of the journey to the goal.  As long as I keep that in my head everyday then I will be ok, but dang it is isn't easy.
My hopes is that when I can eat tomato sandwiches and make good fruit salads etc. that I will not have such a hard time.
So for now, it is a daily struggle but I keep plugging along toward my next goal- 10 pounds by May 11th and to run a mile of the 5K color run.
Until then,
Eating a banana

1 comment:

  1. It's so much easier to eat healthy when that nice farmer's market full of nice delicious fresh fruits and veggies is open! This weather makes me want comfort food....like a HUUUUUGE bowl of pasta...so I'm with ya, it's rough! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete