Monday, January 28, 2013

Feet Don't Fail Me Now!


I found my motivation tonight!  It had been hiding from me since before Thanksgiving.  I didn't find it in the fruit and veggies aisle, I looked for it on the scale, couldn't find it in the new jeans store.  I have looked everywhere for it and tonight I found it, in all places- on the treadmill!
I haven't walked/ran in weeks.  The past 3 weeks I have been completely preoccupied with obsessing over my new celebrity crush- Gavin Degraw.  You see this is what happens when you are single and 45 and haven't dated in 5 years.  Every night I come home, put on my robe and slippers and watch videos or listen to music.  Hey it's what makes me happy.  I have been hoping for 7 months that I would find this type of obsession with running but so far it's a no go.
Since I am going to see Gavin in concert in 2 weeks, I feel a little more motivated to lose some more weight- that and I went shopping for pants tonight and didn't like what I saw.  So I knew what I had to do- get back on the treadmill.
So I put my earbuds in, picked my favorite GDG videos and turned the thing on (My shoes were eyeing me suspiciously as I was lacing them up but I assured them I still loved them).  Now I have no idea what got in to me, but I just started running, wasn't even looking at the monitors and stressing over every minute that clicked by.  I was just running- with GDG in my ears.  Before I knew it I had run a half mile.  I wish you could have seen the smile on my face, I think I was even giggling.
Grace came in the room and said, "Mom, run like a creeper is chasing you!"  This was all I needed to keep me going.  Then I whispered to myself very softly, "go for the mile."  and that is just what I did.
I watched my videos, glanced at the odometer every now and again and before I knew it I was at .889 and I knew I would make it.
By the time it clicked over to 1.000 I was laughing and smiling so much remembering just how painful it was to walk a mile back in July.
I walked for a few more minutes, while "Not Over You" finished playing and was literally in tears by the time I stepped off the treadmill(not from the song either this time). 
If I ever needed the motivation to get back on track, it is now and I can firmly say that I am now there!  I can't wait to run again tomorrow- WHAT? WHAT?  What did I just say?  Oh boy- look out!!
So Gavin Degraw I thank you for coming along for the run, it made all the difference in the world.  See, not all celebrity obsessions are unproductive and silly.  HAAAA 
I think I have also found what works for me- I have detailed a few things on the blog that I have tried- new crock pot recipes- FAIL and  A new points program with coworkers- FAIL! I decided that keeping the points was too much for me and while I am doing the things I am supposed to be doing, I didn't like the idea of tracking points and turning them in for a competition.  I am not competitive at all and this just didn't sit well with me for reasons I can't really explain.  As for the recipes- all that planning ,shopping etc. and we didn't really like them all that much.
So I have determined that for me it is all about the mindset and surprising myself instead of planning and organizing.  Knowing this about myself will make a huge difference in how I approach the rest of this journey I think.
So yeah me!!!  Now to keep this smile going and get onto the next 20 pound loss!
Until then,
Turning up Gavin

1 comment:

  1. Look at you - a new running addict! We will get you out there for a marathon in no time!

    ReplyDelete