Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reflections on my "Best I Ever Had" day!

Every once in a while life offers us an incredible experience thrown in the mix of the utterly ordinary.  Sometimes we get so caught up in life and we miss them or don't fully grasp their significance.

(This blog is about my journey to get healthy but every once in awhile I need to throw in some personal reflection of another nature.  This is one of those times....)

If you know me, then you know at least 3 things about me- 1- I am shy, overly emotional, and sappy.  2- if you come to my house, 9 times out of 10, it will be a mess and 3- I am a big fan of Gavin Degraw's music. There are many many other things that define me but these 3 stand out.   I have never made any apologies for who I am as a person so I will also not make any apologies for this over-emotional sappy blog post about Gavin.

I have always thought my life pretty ordinary and boring, but in a good way.  The past year I have sought to make some positive changes in my life and  it has not always been easy or as fast as I thought it would be and I have often been discouraged.  However when I look back on the last 12 months I am amazed at all that has actually changed.  6 months ago I didn't know who Gavin Degraw was.  I also didn't know some of the people that have come into my life as a result of his music.  Most importantly I didn't know that his music would have such a profound impact on me as a person.

Around March Gavin's summer tour was announced and immediately I bought tickets with 2 friends I had met on twitter, Vickie and Nicole.  I had met Vickie at my first Gavin concert in Williamsburg in February. To have met friends from social media was an entirely new phenomenon to me.  I marvel at the significance of this now in my life!  For months we would chat frequently about our anticipation for the concert, along with 2 other friends, also from twitter.  Not many of my other friends really understood the level of excitement I had for that day, but these girls did.  To have friends who just "get it" was pretty cool! To develop a deep friendship with these 4 women is one of my favorite new blessings in my life.

So the week of the concert was here.  I was driving to Richmond to stay at Vickie's house and meet Nicole for the first time.  I felt like I knew these ladies so well already and wasn't all that nervous about doing something a bit bizarre. I am still in awe of the power of social media sometimes! So sitting in Vickie's kitchen Wednesday night I felt like I was with 2 old dear friends who had been a part of my life for a long time.  Pretty amazing!

 I didn't sleep much Wednesday night because the nerves were starting to build.  We found out from one of our other fan friends that we were going to see him at a private show at a radio station (there are a few details I am omitting here to get right to the point).  I had no idea how to process the fact that I was going to meet him again!! (I met him for the first time after the Williamsburg concert).  I will also be forever grateful to Tina who worked her magic to make it all happen!

Driving to the radio station I was a quiet bundle of nervous energy.  I cannot properly describe to you the feelings I was having about meeting the person who sings the songs that carry me through each day.  The anticipation was both thrilling and nerve wrecking. For awhile we weren't sure we were going to be able to get in, but when I found out that it was definitely happening I started to feel very calm.  It was so important to me to just be in the moment.

Gavin sang 2 songs and we were so fortunate to be front and center! He is a born performer- his wit, his charm and his voice making every bit of it unforgettable.  I wanted to video tape it so that I could relive it often, but also felt a bit odd doing so.  I was able to capture one full song and half of the other.  I still can't watch the video I took of "Not Over You" without tearing up.


After his songs I joined a long line to meet him- and here comes my favorite part!  Gavin took time with each person in that room.  He looks you right in the eye, shakes your hand and makes you feel like you are the most important person for that brief moment! (next time I am getting a hug ;)
All too often, celebrities use their status to put themselves above everyone else.  The fact that Gavin doesn't do this is one of my very favorite things about him as a person.  It felt like he was just one of us, hanging out and that is beyond cool in my book.


So I had my minute with him- I believe that he remembered me from the Williamsburg concert- or the numerous times I tweet him (ooopsie).  He said, "Nice to see you again."  WHAT?  He meets hundreds of people and yet he recognized my face?  Pretty damn amazing Degraw!! I sat and watched him greet the other 30 or so people (I know kinda creepy but whatever) and each and every person was made to feel incredibly special for their brief moment.  *side note- When he said "Come here, hold me" for the picture, I may or may not have swooned just a little- but don't tell anyone*


When we left the station I was in complete awe of what had just happened and how very fortunate I was and I still had the concert to look forward too! The three of us got to the venue early and were so thankful that we had upgraded to covered seats from lawn seats as it was pouring down rain!  We were the only people in our whole section when we got there.  The venue started filling up and the concert began.    We stood for most of his songs (probably to the displeasure of those behind us) but we could not sit!  Clapping, dancing and singing along, I was blissfully happy!  When it was over my first thought was when can I do this again?  We are seeing him again August 31st but that felt like too far away. Luckily I have some videos to be able to relive the day. (links posted below)

Never in a million years would I have thought that music would bring so much into my life.  Happiness, joy, raw emotion, friendships, memorable experiences- all because of music.  How cool is that?  I know other people experience this same thrill from sports or hobbies but I have found mine through song :)

All in all the past few days will go down in my life as some of the most meaningful and memorable. Thanks Music Man!!!

Gavin, if you ever read this, thank you for being you- for sharing a piece of yourself with people through your humble lyrics and your beautiful voice.  You are a regular guy just doing what you are passionate about and sharing it with others- that, my friend, is pretty rare and awesome.  You have a lifelong fan in Maryland!

As I go about my life, getting back to my normal routine, I catch myself reliving those moments with a smile.  I have to remind myself that sometimes in life great things do happen.  They may not be the things we want to happen or hope to happen but sometimes, many times, they are far better because they are unexpected, special and rare!  When I think about the things that I want to happen in my life- like losing weight, or being able to pay my bills, for example, I will stop and remember the gift I had that came along in a different package than I was expecting. (See I told you I was overly sappy sometimes)

With a renewed vigor I will now get back to work on myself and wait for the next incredible, unexpected, special moment.  Good things DO come to those who wait!  July 26th is one year from when I started this journey and I still have much to accomplish before then!  So excited about all the good things this next year will bring!  It's time for me to "Make a Move" (also the title of Gavin's album due out in September :0)

Until then,
Remembering my "Best I Ever Had" day (Gavin's new single, Best I Ever Had, is amazing BTW)
  

Not Over You- 94.9 The Point- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xv2xsArW0I
The end of Best I Ever Had- 94.9- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeSn95pbb8
Make a Move- Virginia Farm Bureau Live- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881ztsvrvJ8
Who's Gonna Save us Tonight (credit to Tina)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lqroL8x4yk
Best I Ever Had- Virginia Farm Bureau Live- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhspqYtlXdU&feature=youtu.be


4 comments:

  1. Still writing my own thoughts but you captured this beautifully. I'd like to point out that the music fits in perfectly on your path to healthy. I give Gavin much of the credit for my own journey back to balance, health and joy. I doubt I could have achieved half as much without this particular man and his gifts of music and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm getting emotional just reading this, Kristin! Love this post, love Gavin, love how you put our epic concert day and visit into words, and love YOU! You are right; good things do come to those who wait. I will be forever grateful to have you as my friend and fellow concert go-er! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like a magical experience! And the best part is sharing it with new friends--which I totally get, btw. I have become really close with a girl that I met online through our shared love of Gos. Although we are both kind of over the Gos obsession, we chat nearly everyday--haven't met yet b/c she lives in Australia though but I hope one day we will be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap I cannot believe you didn't even know who he was 6 months ago! He seems like such a down to earth, nice guy from what you've said. So glad you were able to enjoy this opportunity because you truly deserve it! You are ALWAYS looking out for and doing things for others and it's about time the universe hooked you up! I will always approve of twitter friends :)

    ReplyDelete