Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jingle All The Way (Tales of my second 5K)

I did it!  I completed my second 5K and it almost didn't happen!


When I woke up I could hear the rain coming down outside.  WHAT?  I must have missed something- were they calling for rain?  I hadn't even considered rain as a possibility but I knew one thing- I was screwed.
I have no rain coat and no running rain gear- my goal is to look cute in running clothes and since that hasn't happened yet, I don't have the appropriate attire and have to make due with what I do have and it really doesn't cover rain.
Michelle called and we decided that we would go and see what the rain did but that if it was really raining at the start we wouldn't do it.  I was ok with that. I think that little voice in the back of my head (The devil voice) was secretly hoping that it would down pour.
But we went and even though it rained the whole way down, we were able to go inside the arena which was nice as we still had about 40 minutes before the start.  The bad part of this was that we couldn't see outside to know if it was raining- thankfully I had my radar app and kept a close eye on it.
I wish I had taken a picture of the radar because right at 8:50 it was like a dry bubble opened up over Baltimore City and we knew we were in.

Inside the area- how cute are we?
I was blown away by the crowd and it made the start very difficult.  Unlike the Run to Remember where 99% of people ran, I would say with the Jingle Bell 90% were walking.  So on one had I felt better about that but really people?  This isn't a leisurely stroll- at least for me it wasn't.  It made keeping up my pace really difficult.  I was stuck behind crowds of people chatting and playing on their phones (really???) and even an umbrella wielding lunatic.  Every time I tried to pass her she would start swinging the umbrella and I couldn't get by.  I was frustrated with my pace and wanted to be going faster. 

The first 1.5 miles were rough, mainly because of the crowds but my shin splints were also acting up.  I had hoped to run a little but wasn't sure my ankle and shins would let me.  We entered Patterson Park and I had a complete flashback to about 1999 when I went to the Polish Festival in Patterson Park with Anna and my then husband.  I couldn't believe the person I have become since then and I happily smiled and picked up the pace. 
As we wound around the park, the runners were coming down the other way past us.  I watched them longingly and thought maybe one day.  As I came back out of the park I had reached mile 2.  I felt really good at this point and was hoping to run a bit, after I conquered the hill up ahead.
I noticed at this point in the walk that I have to make a new playlist for when I walk.  Every song I was listening to was about a relationship, a breakup or heartache.  I was chuckling to myself as I sang along with Bruno Mars It Will Rain.  Kinda appropriate but yeah, kinda not.
So the downhill portion began and I could almost see the finish.  The only problem was the lane was narrow and the crowds denser.  I couldn't get around them to even attempt to run, which I was thinking I might want to do.  I looked at my phone and realized that if I wanted to come in under my Run to Remember time I would have to pick it up.  This became my new goal and I squeezed between a cell phone playing girl and a car and walked a bit faster.  I took my phone out and watched the seconds click by as I briskly made it into the arena and the finish line!  53.50!  I did it- .76 seconds faster than the Run to Remember- my first PR (which I now know means personal record). 

Michele was right at the finish line and I was so happy.  I felt amazing and couldn't believe that I had done it...again!
Even as I sit here now, I feel great!  After the Run to Remember I wasn't sure I could do another one- now I KNOW I can and I will.  Maybe by spring I will be ready to run some of it- a new goal! :)
If not, I am happy to be a fast walker, as long as I start and finish, that is all that matters.
Until then,
off to decorate the parents tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment