Thursday, December 27, 2012

Choices, Chances and Changes

I made a choice and took a chance and my life has changed!  As the year comes to a close I have spent a lot of time reflecting on everything that has happened this year.  I can't believe all the things that I have learned about myself in the process.  I knew I needed to change and by making difficult choices, I have chosen to change! It hasn't been easy or exactly how I expected it to be but I am on the right path and the overall results are simply amazing.
Before this week, I was hoping to have hit that pivitol 20 pound mark.  I was so close to my 20 pound weight loss and I thought Christmas was a great goal for that.
Then this week hit.  Saturday my family went out to lunch for my Dad's birthday, Saturday night we had dinner at my neighbor's Christmas party.  Sunday we celebrated Christmas with my girl's stepmother, Monday was Christmas Eve celebrations at our family friends and Tuesday was Christmas.  Well I quickly realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself and setting myself up for failure.  While I did make good choices at all of these events, I also was eating out of my normal routine and eating things that I normally wouldn't have eaten.  Therefore, I have not gotten on the scale since last Friday and I am happy with that decision.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will get back on track and hit the 20 pound mark soon enough.  By not putting that kind of pressure on myself, I was able to fully enjoy the holiday and everything that came along with it- including my Mom's chocolate pie.
I am feeling healthier, my mind is clearer and I am happier than I have been in many many years.  This is a big win for me, aside from what the scale says.
I am still keeping my eye on the prize and with that comes the realization that the prize does not have a date attached to it.  My original goals are still the same- to be thinner by next summer, to be comfortable with my body and to be able to wear cute work out clothes without looking like the Michelin Man.  I am still on that journey and am very proud of myself and my accomplishments.
When I started this, knowing myself so well, it was never my goal to be an uber fit, running fanatic, who knows the calorie count of everything and talk about weightloss and exercising related to every topic- I can't stand that and never have aspired to be that person.  If I want to eat full fat butter, or put sugar in my coffee then I am going to do it.  I didn't get fat by eating full fat ice cream or popcorn with butter every now and then and I am not making those little changes in my diet now.  I got fat by eating too much of everything and being a couch potato. The key to weight loss is to eat less and move more- that is it- period! 
So my journey continues, some weeks will be harder than others.  Some days I may not walk or count my calories, but others I will and in the long run I will lose weight and be healthier and reach my goal this summer- of this I have no doubt.
So for now, I am enjoying my week off of work, no questions asked, no worries, no pressure.  I will make good choices but ultimately I will enjoy this little gift- time with my family, time to myself and time to reflect on this years journey.  Before I know it, I will be back to work, back to my regular routine and back to counting calories and pushing myself to run a little bit more every time I get on the treadmill.
Until then,
Smiling at my accomplishments so far

No comments:

Post a Comment