Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's All About the Preparation

I have never been good at organization.  I am horrible at putting things back where they belong, organizing meals, keeping track of important things etc.  It is all just overwhelming to me.  It has taken me a long time to embrace this about myself. 
 I call it the "coupon effect".  I have always longed to be able to use coupons but every time I try, it is a huge fail.  I spend way too much time in the grocery store going back and forth between aisles trying to get all of the items that I have coupons for. Don't even get me started on the whole math aspect of it- that is for another post.  Inevitably by the time I get to the cashier, I forget to give him or her the coupons.  All in all it is one big emotionally frustrating mess.  Couponing parallels alot of other areas of my life too.  ADHD much?  Yeah I think so.
So what does this have to do with this journey that I am on?
Enter the treadmill.
The first time I walked on the treadmill, I forgot my water bottle.   Now I was in the den, with the sliding glass door closed and my children were God knows where.  I didn't want to stop because I knew that the inner workings of my brain would take over and all hopes of walking 2 miles would be lost.  It is such a mental game to stay on the darn thing as it is.  Finally Grace ran by through the kitchen and I was able to scream to her over the loud TV and gears of the treadmill and she brought me my water. 
The next time I was on the treadmill I forgot to pull my hair up which completely annoyed me.  Anna was watching TV but did not have a ponytail holder.  Now anyone other than a teenager would have gone and found one for their mother who does everything for them, but NO I live with a teenager and have to embrace the "it's all about me" attitude or die trying to change it. Yeah she didn't even offer to go get me one.
Well today was no different.  I thought I had it all together.  I spent extra time making sure I had everything- water bottle- check.  TV remote- check.  Phone and IPAD (in case I wanted to read)- check.  Hair back- check. I was set!
The walk started out well, I increased my speed to a point where I thought that maybe I could run for a few minutes.  I had successfully run for about a minute several times throughout my other walks and I was hoping to increase it today.
FAIL 
 I bet you cannot guess why.  Believe me, it was epic!
As soon as I began to run I quickly remembered my bra choice that morning.  Yup it was my old, warn out, no support, wear it when I am lazy bra.  I will spare you the painful details but it wasn't pretty.
So once again I thought I had all the "coupons" I needed and once again I was disappointed in the end results.
However, I can report that what was going to be a 1 mile walk turned into a 1.5 mile walk which then became a full 2 mile walk!  The first mile was pretty bad.  I started out too fast and with my boob fail I thought there is no way I was even making it to a mile.  I slowed it way down and was able to keep up a good pace through that mile.  Survivor was keeping my company and before the reward challenge was over I was at 1.6 miles.  Having moved past the 1.5 point, I thought what the heck I might as well hang in there for the full 2 miles.  After all, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I need to burn as many calories as possible.
I plan to walk again tomorrow before all the festivities and you can bet your bippy I will have my sports bra on!
Until then,
Reevaluating my supply list

No comments:

Post a Comment