Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flashbacks and Political Musings

11-6-2012
Election Day! (More on that later)

I have been on this journey for a little over 3 months (has it really only been 3 months?).  At the beginning I struggled to just walk a mile without shin and ankle pain.  Now I can walk for 3 miles with no pain and to be honest I never thought I would get there.
So on Saturday when I went for my walk, my shoe untied (this was a first), so I bent down to tie it and not wanting to lose my momentum, when I stood back up my body just started running and I just went with it.  I didn't think about it, no inner dialogue took place, I just ran.  The smile that emerged was amazing- I WAS RUNNING!!!  It didn't last too long because my shins woke up and started screaming, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??"  But that was ok because I had run, for probably 2 minutes and I was smiling and amazed.  I tried running a few more times but each time my shins perked up and said, "oh no you don't." 
Now I could have been discouraged but I had a flashback of sorts to early August when I was plagued with this same pain from walking and I knew that with time, ice and rest, I was able to put those shin screaming to rest. 
Today I went back out and thought I would try intervals ( walk a minute, run a minute, etc.) I have an app, recommended by my cheerleader, Shannon.  It dings after each minute to alert me to the next interval.  
After a 4 minute walking warm-up the bell tolled- and off I was running, right next to a crew of men taking down a tree.  I chuckled to myself thinking how dumb I must look but then changed my thoughts knowing that they didn't know me and they weren't on this journey with me and who cares what they thought!.  I had this same thought as the ding donged right next to the lady walking the dog and again when the old man was getting out of his car.  Each time I raised my head and jogged on, thinking to myself- "Even though I feel like I look like this....
I will keep running on."  Those people can stare at my jiggly butt and judge, but at least I am jiggling this butt forward!
I had to concede to my shins after about a mile and walked the rest of the way home satisfied that I was making progress and hopeful that 3 months from now I will be running with no shin pain.

**And now on to political thoughts- If you don't care what my thoughts on gay marriage are then please stop reading- I won't judge you, just like I hope you won't judge me.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a bit impulsive, a bit emotional and some may even say a bit obsessive.  When it comes to Facebook I often post impulsively- I think it and then I post it.  Yeah sometimes it is even annoying to me but hey, it is who I am. 
 I have tried to refrain from posting my political views (sometimes unsuccessfully) because I know that there are many of my friends who disagree with my views and I don't like using FB for arguments.
In Maryland this election day we are voting to allow Gay Marylanders the right to marry.  It also protects churches that do not believe it is God's will for same sex marriages.  Now God and politics shouldn't mix and it is my view that this ammendment protects just that.  However, it also protects love, which I know is what God is all about (at least the God I know).
God has given us free will and with that free will we ALL sin- no one is above it.  It is God to judge us- PERIOD.  Many believe that same sex marriage is a sin and while I do not, I do respect those that do. I believe that God (MY GOD) would never condemn someone to hell for LOVING someone else in a committed, faithful way. 
 My church has a few openly gay couples who are the most loving, faithful people I know.  One couple in particular is at every church function, lending a hand, preaching God's love and raising 2 beautiful children in the church.  These children are learning God's love and watching their 2 Dads grow in faith and commitment to each other as well as other people.  I applaud my church for allowing these 2 fine men to minister alongside me.  I also would love to see them afforded the same rights that I had in my marriage, if not for them then for their children.  How can we teach them equality and social justice when they would have to watch their parents denied the rights given to others just because they are practicing their love- don't we teach our children that God made us in his likeness?  Does that not apply to these fine men of outstanding character?
I am fully aware that some people do not believe as I do and I respect their beliefs as I would hope they respect mine- but isn't that what Question 6 is all about- allowing those that believe that we are all equal, equal rights under the law, while protecting those that don't believe?  I don't own a gun, never will but I respect the rights of those that want to own them.  Guns don't kill people- people kill people.  Love doesn't discriminate- people do.

If you stayed with me for this rant, thanks- In my own impulsive, obsessive way, I had to get it out and chose this forum to do so.  You have the right not to read it or to disagree.  You also have the right to vote and express your opinion.
Until then,
Resting up my voting finger

No comments:

Post a Comment