Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's All About the Boobies

Today I was thrilled to participate in the Koman For the Cure Walk as part of Team Halstead, It's All About the Boobies.  There were about 22 of us from my school that were participating.  Our meeting time was 6:45- yikes!  It was easier getting up than I thought, even though it was still pitch black out.  I guess I was excited to be walking my second 5K.  Most of us met in the Dutch Market parking lot and braved the chill in the air.  We had to walk about a mile and a half to the race village.  On the walk there we lost half the group and after some texting and reorganizing we were able to meet up again just to stand around and wait.   Some in our group were partcipating in the run and left early for that part of the race.  The rest of us stood around for while until it was time to walk.  I couldn't get over the number of people that were there.  They were playing music and the overall festivities were amazing. 
When it was time for the walkers we followed the crowds and before we knew it we were just whisked along with everyone else.  The sea of people ahead and behind us was just overwhelming.  It was quite a different experience than the first time as everyone was just stolling along.  It was hard to stay together as a group and as hard as we tried, we just couldn't do it.  When we reached the 1 mile mark we decided to keep going but it wasn't too long before we took a detour to head to breakfast.  I was with some awesome co-workers who brought their young daughters along and when I heard breakfast food, I was in.  It was about another half mile to a mile back to our car and I would say all in all I definitly walked 3 miles if not more.  Even though the pace was leisurely, it was still a very nice walk.
We went to the Ashland Cafe where I was happy to feast on eggs, pancakes and bacon without any guilt.  It renewed my desire to keep walking and get back into the swing of things.  I want to find another 5K to walk in a few months and get back to training.  Until today I hadn't walked since my fateful "thriller night" and I am not sure if it was because I was so traumatized, I just got out of the routine or I just haven't had the time. 
I am going to make it more of a priority this week and really want to make the time for it but it has just been so difficult.  Oh well, another challenge to overcome :)
Until then,
sleeping off the bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment